Shakespeare’s Sister offers a simple question:
If you could pass any three bills, what would they be?
Mr. Shakes and I figured we had six between us, so we passed the following legislation:
1. Election Reform
2. Comprehensive Energy Independence Plan, including National Public Transportation initiative
3. Realignment of Defense Spending (which would pay for #2)
4. Gay Rights Bill, including immigration reform re: fiancée visas
5. Universal Healthcare
6. Corporate Castration Bill, including reinstating lost workers’ rights and adding new protections, and closing tax loopholes (which would pay for #5)
These are all good bills, and I want to add to the list, but I can’t. In no particular order, I’d pass:
- Universal Health Care (which will save money on average)
- the Apollo Alliance Jobs and Energy plan
- The Endangered Habitat Act (throw in a system of financial incentives to encourage landowner compliance)
I wish I could tack on trade reform, a minimum wage hike and an estate tax to pay for it all.