Education Commissioner Bob Corkins on Thursday retreated from his plan to create a voucher system that would use state tax dollars to send certain students to private schools.
“Now is not the time for the state board to make a pronouncement on this issue,” Corkins said. “This idea has not received the full public debate it needs before expecting the board to act on it.”
Corkins, hired in October by a 6–4 majority on the State Board of Education, had pushed hard to get the board to recommend that the Legislature approve a voucher program.
But the proposal was slammed by education groups.
And last month, board member Ken Willard, a Republican from Hutchinson, who is part of the 6–4 majority, said he wouldn’t vote for a voucher proposal after a number of school officials in his district told him it was a bad idea.
Darn, and just when the idea could have been soundly rejected, giving us all a breather.
The fact is, Corkins is not in a position to make statements on behalf of the Board, nor when the time is ripe for them to comment on an issue.
That said, this is a victory for schools and school children, present and future.